Avondale is the home of Phoenix International Raceway, an auto racing facility. Westview High School, La Joya Community High School, and Agua Fria High School are high schools in Avondale. The City was honored by the Center for Digital Government as one of the top ten Digital Cities of America in November 2011 for its effective use of technology.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 41.3 square miles (107 km2), of which, 41.3 square miles (107 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.15%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 35,883 people, 10,640 households, and 8,724 families residing in the city. The population density was 869.7 people per square mile (335.8/km²). There were 11,419 housing units at an average density of 276.8 per square mile (106.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 63.27% White, 5.20% Black or African American, 1.28% Native American, 1.89%Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 24.32% from other races, and 3.89% from two or more races. 46.23% of the population were Hispanicor Latino of any race.
There were 10,640 households out of which 47.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.9% were married couplesliving together, 12.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.0% were non-families. 12.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age. The average household size was 3.36 and the average family size was 3.66.
In the city the population was spread out with 34.2% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 5.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 102.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $49,153, and the median income for a family was $51,084. Males had a median income of $35,134 versus $27,487 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,919. About 10.3% of families and 13.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.2% of those under age 18 and 16.7% of those age 65 or over.
In 2010 Avondale had a population of 76,238. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 50.3% Hispanic or Latino, 34.0% non-Hispanic white, 9.3% black or African American, 1.7% Native American, 3.5% Asian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 0.2% non-Hispanic of some other race and 4.5% reporting two or more races.
- Randall McDaniel, a former offensive guard in the National Football League. He was inducted into the National Football Foundation College Hall of Fame in 2008 and inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2009. He was a sprinter at Agua Fria High School.
- Everson Griffen, defensive end for the University of Southern California Trojans, attended Agua Fria High School.
- Dulce Ruby, international model for Mark Ecko, Kiss Cosmetics, and more; attended Agua Fria High School.
- Drisan James, wide receiver for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats attended Westview High School.
- Nick Harris, punter for the Detroit Lions, attended Westview High School.
- Shawn Gilbert, MLB player, played high school baseball at Agua Fria High School.
- Clancy Pendergast, Defensive Coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Raymond H. Shuey, retired Chief Financial Officer, Finance Director, and Treasurer for the City of Glendale, Arizona.
- Craig Mabbitt, vocalist for the band Escape The Fate and former vocalist for bands blessthefall and The Word Alive attended Westview High School
- ^ “Annual Estimates of the Population for Incorporated Places in Arizona”. United States Census Bureau. 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- ^ “Annual Estimates of the Population for All Incorporated Places in Arizona” (CSV). 2008 Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- ^ “US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990”. United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ “American FactFinder”. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ 2010 census report for Avondale